I’m excited to share this new recipe with all of you! Today I’m going vegan for the day as part of a group of bloggers participating in #Veganuary. A vegan recipe is something that is made with no animal products – which includes meat/fish, dairy, and eggs.
I was a little out of my comfort zone as I do a lot of my cooking and baking with meat, dairy and eggs … but getting outside of your comfort zone every once in a while is good. I recently completed a food sensitivity test, which confirmed that I have issues with dairy. It also revealed that I may have a high sensitivity to lentils, which made it a slightly more difficult to decide on a recipe. Everything that I wanted to try had lentils, so instead of having an upset stomach, I decided to go with a recipe that made with chickpeas. I am so happy I decided to give this chickpea salad recipe a try. It was amazing! I had to go to a couple of grocery stores to find plain non-dairy yogurt. The one I frequent only had fruit and vanilla flavored ones.
I loved the crunch the celery and apples gave it. The dressing was tangy and creamy. The sweetness from the cranberries was just perfect. I served it on whole wheat pita, but you could easily swap it out for bread or just on a bed of lettuce.
I’m looking forward to seeing all the other recipes being shared today! Check them out below.
3 cups chickpeas (I used 2 cans – rinsed and drained)
1 large celery rib, diced
1/2 cup diced apple
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped pecans (other nuts would work perfectly well too)
5.3 oz plain, non-dairy yogurt
1-2 tsp yellow mustard
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Set aside until ready to use. Place the chickpeas in a medium bowl. Smash with a fork until most of the chickpeas are broken and smashed. Season with a dash of salt.
To the bowl, add in the celery, apples, cranberries and pecans. Stir to combine. Pour the dressing over top and mix until completely coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve on your favorite bread, pita or over a bed of lettuce. Add any additional toppings if desired.
Check out all the other recipes that are part of today’s #veganuary.
Vegan Recipes for #Veganuary
- Vegan Burrito Bowls with Jackfruit Carnitas by The Baking Fairy
- Baba Ganoush by Lemon Blossoms
- Creamy Vegan Curry Bean Soup by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Delicata Squash Fries with Chipotle Garlic Dipping Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Instant Pot Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by The Live-In Kitchen
- Instant Pot Chipotle Sofritas by Herbivore Cucina
- Moroccan Eggplant with Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Veggies with Satay Peanut Sauce by Hardly A Goddess
- Scrambled Tofu with Sweet Potato & Kale Hash by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegan Artichoke Hummus by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Vegan Baked Oats and Vegetable Bites by Cook With Renu
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwiches by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Vegan Cannellini Rocket Tortilla Pizza by The Fiery Vegetarian
- Vegan Cookie Dough Energy Balls by Veggie Lexi
- Vegan Cranberry Apple Chickpea Salad by Join Us, Pull Up A Chair
- Vegan Fire-Roasted Tomato and Bean Soup by Blogghetti
- Vegan Khoresh Bademjan by Palatable Pastime
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Tofu by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Superfood Breakfast Cookies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrots with Peanuts by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vegan Vanilla Chai Oatmeal by Fairyburger
- Vegetable Chettinad (Vegan Spicy Vegetable Curry) by Flavours Treat
Source: Wee Little Vegans
28 thoughts on “Vegan Cranberry Apple Chickpea Salad”
Sounds like a perfect lunch to me
LikeLiked by 1 person
Lunch on the go! Love fruits with chickpeas.
I love how easy this is to put together for a tasty lunch.
Perfect grab and go sandwich and very filling too!
The perfect filler for an easy wrap lunch!
I love the sound of this chickpea salad, Heather! What a great versatile idea for a quick lunch or hearty snack! Thank you so much for participating in my Vegan event! ❤
Yum! Sounds like the perfect lunch to me.
A perfect salad to serve up as a vegan alternative at a luncheon or shower.
I love all of the ingredients in this salad, so I know I’m going to want to gobble it all up at after the first bite!
This looks + sounds delicious!! I need to go get some chickpeas! ❤
Chickpeas in salad sounds interesting. I can’t wait to try this soon.
This is such a great idea. I love the variety of flavors and textures- perfect for lunch!
Yum and delicious. Chickpea, apple and cranberry makes a perfect healthy combination for lunch.
What a great vegan lunch!
This sounds like it’s easy to make and perfect to have in the fridge for lunch